Multi-Site Detention Trends
JDAI Monthly Detention Survey
At the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, Empact Solutions partnered with the Annie E. Casey Foundation (AECF) to survey youth justice agencies to report on youth detention trends. The survey is unique because it captures data in close to real time from a large group of jurisdictions that spans all regions of the United States, and ranges from large urban counties to small rural courts.
In a typical month, the survey includes more than 150 jurisdictions in more than 30 states. AECF supported the distribution of the survey via a sophisticated survey instrument, the capture of the data consistently and in a stable, well-organized format, and then the reporting of the data back to the participants on a monthly basis in a visually useful manner.
How we helped:
- Quickly established a system to collect the data and report the data back to participants in the form of more than 150 customized Tableau dashboards
- Worked with a partner to design and develop a database solution to store and manage the survey data
- Evolved the survey at pace with the changing state of the pandemic and the needs of the participants
- Allowed agencies that might not have the capacity to analyze and visualize detention data on a monthly basis
- Increased the availability of detention data to the Foundation for their decision making
- Contributed to the national understanding of detention trends as they relate to the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond
Executive | State Administrator | Local Administrator
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Let’s build a data-informed, people-centered system together
We can help you feel confident in your use of data through strategic guidance, technical assistance, user-friendly analytics tools, and training.